Quinta de Foz de Arouce estate is located in Lousã, Beiras region. It is surrounded by the foothills of Lousã and Penela Mountains and is bathed by Arouce and Ceira rivers where the first one flows. The old documents in the house refer to the properties as belonging to the family since the 18th century, knowing that some dependencies are older, as the primitive house was consumed by fire twice. The chapel adjoining the house was founded by Brief Pontifical Pope Benedict XIII on 24-08-1724.
The culture of the vineyard has been known in this place since the Visigothic occupations of the Iberian Peninsula, as evidenced by many legends claiming that King Arunce kept wine, among other precious goods, in his castle of Lousã. The wine production is deeply connected with the history of the estate, being today the only one known in the region.
At Quinta de Foz de Arouce, the vineyards and wine produced had a complementary role, together with different agricultural crops and animal production, only meant for the house consumption. It was in the 70´s that João Filipe Osório de Meneses Pitta, inheriting this property, discovered the potential of the vineyards over 40 years old, producing wines of unquestionable quality.
In the 80's João Portugal Ramos joined the family by marrying his daughter Teresa, becoming the consultant and winemaker of the house. He introduced a new approach in the vineyards as well as in the winemaking. Fermentation of the white wine starts in oak barrels and, just like the reds, ageing takes place also in barrels. As expected, the results appeared quite soon and in 1987 the first Quinta de Foz de Arouce wines were released to the market under the guidance of João Portugal Ramos.